Sunday, May 18, 2008

Judgment Day Preview



Here's the thing - for anyone expecting a clear resolution to tonight's big matches, just remember that THERE'S ANOTHER PAY PER VIEW IN TWO WEEKS!!!

Regardless, live at 8pm from Omaha...

Supposedly, Vinnie Mac has been rejecting and revising every script that's been proposed to him for this thing - considering that he's the one behind the whole "Undertaker gets stripped of the title" idea, I'm really not sure what to expect. Let's be honest though - two weeks isn't really enough time to hype any new feuds, so we're probably going to end up with a slew of EXTREME REMATCHES at One Night Stand.

Here are the picks - as always, in projected match order:

Battle of the Overpaid Mistakes
Big Show vs. Mark Henry

This is rumored, and hasn't been added to the official card yet, thus no picture. Sorry.

Unlike most people on The Net, I actually like both of these guys. Wrestling needs giants, and Show fits the bill. I don't enjoy watching Henry work at all, and this match is likely going to be awful, but how can you not like a guy who openly cried and read poetry on national television after Owen Hart died? For that, I can never wish Henry any ill will.

Winner: Big Show
My Pick: Big Show

Jeff Hardy vs. MVP

Another match that's only rumored as of now, but I'd like to see how the two of them interact. My guess is that of this and the Show-Henry match, only one ends up happening.

Winner: Jeff Hardy
My Pick: MVP

WCW Tag Team Championship
Kane & CM Punk vs. John Morrison & The Miz

You know what? I'm looking forward to this for some reason. Morrison and Miz have a good vibe together, although like 80% of the tag teams in the WWF, they'd benefit immensely from an actual name. I really hope this doesn't end with the MITB being cashed in - that shouldn't ever be cashed for a worthless belt like the ECW strap.

Winner: Kane & CM Punk
My Pick: Morrison and The Miz, with no post-match shenanigans whatsoever

The Match Batista's Going To Interfere In
Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho

Could easily be match of the night, as Michaels' previous effort with Batista probably was. I was 100% convinced that his knee injury was legit at the time. Expect a disputed finish here, with either Michaels-Batista or a three-way at ONS.

Winner: Jericho by shenanigans
My Pick: Jericho, to make up for WM XIX


John Cena vs. JBL


Yeah, I know they're pushing JBL as a main-event heel, but Cena's the franchise. He lost last month, he lost at WrestleMania - he's not losing here unless it leads to a bloody ONS rematch, which I would adore.

Winner: John Cena
My Pick: JBL, and the aforementioned blood two weeks from now. Unless I'm drunk, of course, in which case go Cena.

WWF Women's Championship
Mickie James vs. Beth Phoenix vs. Melina
Winner: Mickie James
My Pick: Eh, Mickie, I suppose. I wish they'd make her a crazy hot stalker again.

WCW Championship
The Undertaker vs, Edge

I don't get the logic of stripping Taker of the belt at all, and really, anything could happen here. At least a guaranteed title change will make this PPV somewhat memorable. Look for this to be the last match of the night if they give Undertaker the win.

Winner: Edge, via shenanigans
My Pick: Edge

WWF Championship
Steel Cage Match
Triple H vs. Randy Orton

Hey, Trips? Remember that deal we made last month, where I said you could win the title and keep it for a while without me complaining, just as long as you forced a switch to a new title design? Well, you know, as part of that deal.....YOU HAVE TO FORCE A SWITCH TO A NEW TITLE DESIGN! Just a friendly reminder, I'm sure we'll see it tomorrow on Raw. Remember though, you owe me.

Winner: Triple H, but with enough controversy to set up a quick rematch at ONS.
My Pick: Triple H, and a new belt design. You hear me?


Recommendation: Well, I whiffed a few weeks ago by telling you all to skip Backlash, which ended up being quite decent. The match quality could easily make this worth checking out, but I'm expecting a schmozz finish or two, and I doubt anything big happens storyline-wise. Folks in Omaha will likely be fine with that.

I'm saying skip this, but Vince is apparently in a volatile mood, so I may regret that call.

No comments: